The Citizens Climate Lobby have a workable plan for dealing with climate change. First they came up with a policy that would appeal to both the left and right of the political spectrum, and now they are in the process of walking politicians in each electorate through the policy in a series of face to face meetings.
You can read about it in detail on their website but the policy is essentially is to put a price on carbon at the source then distribute whatever funds are raised equally across every household in the country. They call it a ‘fee and dividend’ scheme. It appeals to the right because nothing goes to the government (it is not a tax in the traditional sense) and it appeals to the left because the poorer you are the greater will be the impact of the payment. The proposal is to start at $15/tonne and increase it by $10 a year.
The CCL started in the US but has aspirations to go international. In Australia groups are forming each day you can learn more on the Australian website . The organisation is well funded and well supported by some big names in business, politics and science. In the words of Dr James Hansen, “If you want to join the fight to save the planet for your grandchildren, there is no more effective step you could take than becoming a member of this group”
A good place to start would be to read the material on their website which covers in great detail the practicalities of the scheme, backed up by an analysis by an independent group of experts. The material is covered in a series of Laser Talks (just as a laser is powerful and focused, a laser talk is a brief but powerful statement on a particular topic.)
For more on the work of other climate activist organisations, see links below.
- NOW or never
- A message from isolation
- Yackandandah Legend comes to Pambula
- Bega votes for 100% Renewable Energy by 2030
- Tathra sets itself an ambitious target!
- Election Forum Bermagui Sunday February 24
- 20171120 CEFE at CURF Annual Forum
- 20170724 Public Meeting at Bermagui July 24
- 20170604 Tim Flannery Event in Bega
- Dr Will Steffan at Tathra on June 22
- 2016 Eden-Monaro Candidates Forum
- 20160415 GetUp releases Home Grown Power Plan
- 20151127 People’s Climate March
- 20151205 Philippa Rowland to speak at UN summit in Paris
- 20150712 Setting Australia’s emission reduction target
- 20150309 Narrabeen environmental election Q&A
- 20081106 Snowy Mountains climate forum
- 20150309 Election Forum Narrabeen Tram Shed
- 20091212 CEFE goes to Copenhagen
- 20100809 Election forum in Bermagui
- 20061008 CEFE makes its presence felt in Canberra
- 20061113 Moruya Launch Meeting
- 20060821 Bega Launch Meeting